Process compressors are critical equipment items, fouling will adversely affect the compressors reliability and availability. Any machinery downtime or even reduced capacity will negatively impact on your profits. The performance of your process compressors can be radically reduced by fouling carried in the medium being processed or by accumulation inside the process compressor itself resulting from the polymerization or seal oil contamination.
The Rochem on-line nozzle and delivery system allows the process compressor to be cleaned during normal operation. The PC range uses Rochem’s proven washing technology offering the user a simple and effective method to ensure maximum performance from your process compressor.
What is the on-line cleaning process?
On line washing is a process that reduces the rate at which foulants build up in process compressors. While the turbine is still running, atomised cleaning fluid is injected into the system. Online cleaning can significantly reduce losses, increase efficiency and reduce un-planned shutdown for cleaning.
Do I need to use chemicals for cleaning?
Water alone cannot remove all the foulant types. FYREWASH® chemicals are a range of specialist cleaning chemicals with outstanding performance designed for all types of fouling and meeting current OEM & environmental standards world-wide. They are mixed with treated water in a ratio of 1:4. Practice has shown that FYREWASH® F1 and F4 are best suited to clean process compressors. Where water is prohibited by the process parameters process compressor cleaner can be used as it contain no water.
Will the cleaning chemical damage process compressor seals?
In principle, process compressors with oil seals or self-acting dry gas seals are suited for on-line cleaning. A design verification will be carried out to determine if any modifications are required for each particular case.
What is the process connection size and form?
These can be manufactured to suit any application, but standard nozzles use NPT or 1-1/2” ANSI/DIN flange connections rated to suit the process application.
What are the foulant types?
- Scaling or precipitation
- Chemical reaction
- Solidi cation
What is the scale of associated losses?
Onset of performance loss may be rapid commencing soon after start-up or develop more gradually over time.
- 15 – 30% shortfalls in head are common
- 10% efficiency loss is translated into a 10% increase in power to maintain production
- Power constraints result in a drop in production revenue and profits
- Losses amounting to $4.8M per unscheduled shutdown are not exceptional!
The solution to process compressor performance recovery
There are two choices to deal with this problem:
- Take the unit out of service, open the casing and manually clean the process compressor internals. This method is a very time consuming and costly solution
- Or install a Rochem on-line cleaning system that allows the process compressor to be cleaned during normal operation in a matter of minutes
What equipment is required?
- Rochem injection nozzle system installed in the process compressor suction pipeline
- Rochem self-contained wash delivery skid operating at pressures up to 100 barg